The Awschalom Group
Our group has active research activities in optical and magnetic interactions in semiconductor quantum structures, spin dynamics and coherence in condensed matter systems ("spintronics"), macroscopic quantum phenomena in nanometer-scale magnets, and implementations of quantum computation in the solid state. We have developed a variety of low temperature femtosecond-resolved magneto-optical spatiotemporal spectroscopies aimed at exploring charge and spin motion in the quantum domain. Our work focuses on the physics of newly-developed mesoscopic magnetic/semiconducting systems, such as hybrid magnetic semiconductor heterostructures, chemically- synthesized nanostructures, zero-dimensional matter, and molecular systems.
- "Polytype control of spin qubits in silicon carbide", A. L. Falk, B. B. Buckley, G. Calusine, W. F. Koehl, V. V. Dobrovitski, A. Politi, C. A. Zorman, P. X.-L. Feng & D. D. Awschalom, Nature Communications 4, 1819 (2013).
- "Fluorescence thermometry enhanced by the quantum coherence of single spins in diamond", D.M. Toyli, C.F. de las Casas, D.J. Christle, V.V. Dobrovitski, D.D. Awschalom, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA online early ed. (2013).
- "Quantum Spintronics: Engineering and Manipulating Atom-Like Spins in Semiconductors", D.D. Awschalom, L.C. Bassett, A.S. Dzurak, E.L. Hu and J.R. Petta Science 339, 1174 (2013).
- "Quantum Control over Single Spins in Diamond", V.V. Dobrovitski, G.D. Fuchs, A.L. Falk, C. Santori and D.D. Awschalom Annu. Rev. Condens. Matter Phys. 4, 23 (2013).
- "All-optical control of a solid-state spin using coherent dark states", C. G. Yale, B. B. Buckley, D. J. Christle, G. Burkard, F. J. Heremans, L. C. Bassett, and D. D. Awschalom, Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110, 7595 (2013).